Grade: B
Tonight, I was in the audience of the second showing ever of the new Shrek musical, at Seattle's Fifth Avenue Theater. I was dubious. This is not the first show I've seen that was created in Seattle to be sent immediately to Broadway. There was also Hairspray, which spawned a great movie that had none of the screechy voices of the stage production. There was Young Frankenstein, whose only jokes were repeats from the movie. And of course there was The Wedding Singer, which was so unmemorable that my mother forgot she'd seen it.
Shrek blew them all away.
Let's start with the good, because there was lots of it. Of the four main characters, Fiona (played by Sutton Foster) and Lord Farquaad (Christopher Sieber) stole every scene they were in. Ms. Foster has a terrific voice (she's starred in a number of productions on Broadway, and been nominated for a Tony) and a charming willingness to act absurdly. She has the only really good, hummable song in the show, "I Know It's Today" (also well-sung by two young girls playing Fiona at ages 7 and 10).
Christopher Sieber was by far the most impressive part of the show. In an impressive display of athleticism, he parades around the stage on his knees, as his character is very short, all the while belting clever if not classic tunes. It won't be a surprise if Mr. Sieber is nominated for a Tony for his excellent work once Shrek makes it to Broadway in December.
The stage designs were generally well done, with greenery everywhere. The costumes were at times excellent and at times awful. Lord Farquaad's costume was the cleverest, and the ogre costumes for both Fiona and Shrek were decent, as was Donkey. The many fairytale creature costumes were too chaotic, as were most of the scenes involving those characters--more on that later. The dragon, played by about seven women at once, one of whom wears a pointed bra a la Madonna that looks like it could impale someone, started out impressive and quickly grew tedious.
Shrek does a great job of keeping the humor from the movie (most of the dialogue, if my memory serves me, is straight out of the movie), while maximizing its potential as a stage production with clever sets and performances. Many of the songs were decent, though none could rival the powerful songs of Les Miserables or Wicked.
There were a number of great references to other shows, and I'm sure I missed others. An experienced theater-goer will note the nod to A Chorus Line when Lord Farquaad is preparing to evict the fairytale creatures; two Wicked references; and an explicit Lion King parody. The show would have been better with even more (I can think of a scene where the Monty Python killer rabbit would have fit in perfectly, and a scene where the Les Miz flag could have been waved above the heads of fairytale creatures marching together).
Now for the bad.
Shrek, the title character, who is such a star in the movie, fell a little flat. It wasn't that Brian D'Arcy James' performance was poor, but he never stole the stage and never had a really great song. He was almost furniture to offset the stellar performances of Fiona and Farquaad. Similarly, Chester Gregory, who played Donkey, did his best, but the songs that had been written for him (and boy, were there a lot) were mediocre at best, and some should have been cut completely.
The fairytale characters were probably the worst part of the show, as all of their ensemble scenes ran too long and were both boring and annoying. Perhaps when it came to them it would have been best to deviate a bit from the movie, particularly when it came to the Gingerbread Man and Pinocchio having such large roles. As a whole, most of the ensemble scenes were weak compared to the scenes with only one or two characters; the songs were not good and the dancing was pretty lame.
Maybe the most important lesson that Shrek has to learn, and that it will hopefully implement in the coming weeks, is that less is more when it comes to most humor. Jokes that run too long quickly cease to be funny, and gimicks that are played up too much, or over and over (such as Pinnochio's nose growing over, and over, and over again), cease to impress and begin to annoy.
Keep in mind that this show is very, very young still, and will undoubtedly change a lot before it leaves for Broadway. Despite my complaints about it, I enjoyed it thoroughly, which was more than I expected. It's a show for kids and adults (though the six year old sitting next to me burst into tears of fright minutes into the show and had to be removed from the theater), and parents and children alike could be seen sporting ogre-ear headbands. I predict that the show will be a great success on Broadway, much better than the Disney adaptations that are currently there, though it is certainly no Wicked or Jersey Boys. This is one to keep an eye on, and promises to be a pleasure for anyone who's willing to let their hair down for a few hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
nice detailed review!! I really appreciate that you took your time to write this up. I bought tickets for sep. 13 showing and now I know what to look forward to.
I agree I just saw the show today and felt like some of the ensemble numbers did fall flat but overall i did find it fun for everyone. Ivagree with you also when it came to the donkey that he needed some better songs and lines to get his part to come across a little better. I did think the show was fun and had great humor for kids and adults. Plus I loved the musical references it was funny and connected with theater fans instead of the movie fans which I loved.
Thanx,I also have tickets for sept 13 and I have been quite curious about the show and why it was so hard to find a review of the show!
Theater novice who enjoyed the first Shrek movie. Absolutely bored out of my mind during the Sept 7 matinee performance. Cliche and non-inspired. Boring from start to finish. I honestly couldn't believe that 3 hours of my life and 80 bucks were taken up by this absolutely vanilla monstrosity. The actors did what they could, but the script was phoned-in and not relevant. To anything. Do not go see this "musical". Do not take children to see this "musical". I still feel dirty from the experience.
When I first saw the free dress rehearsal showing of Shrek I got a similar impression from the title character - it seemed that he could have just had a bigger presence. But I just saw the show again tonight and I think his performance has come a long way. It is almost as if he walked right out of the movie. I think he has added many more mannerisms and movements that make the character come to life and shine more.
I actually enjoyed most of the songs the second time - I think they are tunes that you kind of have to let grow on you. And I would say that the Hero song Shrek sings at the end of the first act is pretty memorable as a song that he sings, but you are right that he doesn't even sing many songs in general.
Anyways, thanks for the review!
Nice review. I was in the audience the same night. It will be interesting to see how the 4 new songs and the additional perspective of Rob Ashford have changed the show. By the way, Sutton Foster, who's terrific as Fiona DID win a Tony(for "...Millie")
My mother and I attended Sept 19th performance and I would say we gave it a C. I feel let down. The voices/actors did the best they could with the material they were given. The script was mediocre at best and the songs were about as boring and uncaptivating as they can be without being bad. Costumes - OK. Donkey's looked totally unfit for a production of this magnitude - think more little city theater. Lord Farquartte - fantastic. Fiona - beautiful and fun. Shrek - I think he is sad just because his role is so flat. There is plenty of "play" through out the production to keep you leaning forward as you don't want to miss what fun there is. I just can't imagine this making it long on Broadway with the current script and songs.
I just saw the show on Broadway, one week after it started previews. Gathering from what was said about the Seattle shows, not too much was improved upon for the Broadway stage. I am an extremely huge fan of Sutton Foster's, which is the main reason I went to the show, although I enjoyed the movie. Sutton was fabulous as always and I enjoyed her songs as well as her jokes. She and Brian d'Arcy James (who plays Shrek) had decent chemistry, but it ended there. Shrek and Donkey (who was played by Daniel Breaker..an excellent actor/singer) had very little chemistry onstage and most of the scenes with the two of them were awkward and boring. The sets were cool, the rotating stage was nice, the references to other shows was clever and funny, but overall..it was boring. The show lacked energy as well as any memorable songs. The main song, "Big, Bright, Beautiful World," just didn't do it for me. When the show ended, I wasn't inspired or moved by the music, as in Les Mis or Wicked, or even some of the Disney shows. It was just flat and nothing special. The worst scene of all though was the dragon scene. Terrible. I honestly hope that they make large changes before it officially opens or they are in trouble. (Although, as a Sutton fan, I would much prefer her in a better production as quickly as possible.)
I just wanted to point out not only has Sutton Foster been nominated for three Tony Awards, she won for Thoroughly Modern Millie.
I saw this show this past weekend, and I can tell you I haven't enjoyed a broadway show this much in a long time. It was soooo much fun and extremely fun to watch from start to finish. It's a tony nominee for sure on almost every frunt
I felt that the whole show went on too long and that they "humor" begins to grate on you after a while. I love sarcasm, but it has to be a little sophisticated and dry. This was so over the top I couldn't take it any more. I know the GingerBread Man's voice was comically and purposely annoying. Still, annoying is annoying. I was so happy to leave the theater at the end. There was just not enough plot or character depth to last three hours and repeated and coarse jokes (farting and belching? How innovative.) didn't help.
I took 30 of my middle school theater students to see it and myself and them were very disappointed. Most said they really disliked it. The general comments were that they felt they tried too hard to copy the cartoon and even the voices. We all would have rather they tried to do something different then simply copy the movie unsuccessful. It would have been nice to see some creativity. The choreography and music was very Theater 101 and had no place on Broadway. It seemed far more like a theme park show or a on-ice type of an event. It has no place on Broadway.
I adore Sutton Foster and have followed her career since its inception (her best shows for me were Thoroughly Modern Millie where she got her amazing start; and Drowsy Chaperone...she was terrific in her "Showoff" number). I am so deeply disappointed she left Young Frankenstein for this show.
I'm also very annoyed that Disney thinks it can take over Broadway (I'm a native NY-er and my daughter loves broadway and hopes to have a theater career someday - but she and all her friends just can't seem to wrap their heads around the disney takeover - they are the 13-18 musical theatre demographic).
Anyway, I have to say that although Sutton Foster is a great actress, this show is awful. I don't know what she and the producers were thinking. I sat through the movie with my daughter when she was small, but money should not have been wasted on bringing this show to Broadway. I pray Sutton finds something else soon. Once she goes, the show will collapse I'm sure.
Broadway is not doing well right now - with great shows like Hairspray, Spamalot, Spring Awakening, Legally Blonde and Rent gone. New shows are coming and going, but it doesn't need a show like Shrek still standing. To see Sutton on the View (when she was promoting the show) doing the burping/farting scene was so demeaning (personal opinion) I felt.
Luckily, my daughter and I and 2 of her friends got comp tickets and didn't have to shell out any good money on this show (thank goodness). I pity the people who did.
Well, at least they found a role for the poor girl who played annie on the national tour - most annie's go into oblivion - as that is the show's curse.
well i am going to see the show tomorrow at two and i am very excited, however some comments are making me a little scared. i love broadway so much i just hope they didn't make a mistake. i just saw Fantasticks and that was amazing! hope shrek can keep up
Les Mis is not spelled with a z.
Wow! I want to have that kind of experience too! I envy you so much!
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment